What to Expect, When You Start Training:
Congratulations! You’ve been thinking about joining us in our adult martial arts program. Our adult program includes all classes that are designed for adults, both taekwondo and Kisado Fitness. Thinking about joining is the first step! Second step come try out a free class! But come prepared!
If you haven’t been exercising much, be prepared for sore muscles. This is a good thing! It shows you are working. But remember Rome wasn’t built in a day. You don’t want to be so sore that you can’t walk the next day. And this really can happen. When my oldest son was in high school, he got inspired to lift weights and being young and impetuous, lifted long and hard. The next day he was so sore he looked like an ancient man trying to walk. He could barely move! So we don’t want that to be you! Start slowly, get used to moving your body again!
After you’ve been coming regularly for a couple of weeks then you can start pushing yourself more. But here are a few things to think about:
- Don’t compare yourself to others in class! We are all in a different place in our journey. Some of us are older/younger. Some of us have been working out longer than others. Some of us are dealing with injuries. This is your time, concentrate on yourself.
- Work out at YOUR 100%. And honestly 100% can change from day to day and workout to workout! Some days I feel great and others…not so great.
- Remember it’s the coach’s job to encourage you to give your best. But it’s your responsibility to take care of yourself.
- Feel free to modify the exercise! After arthroscopic surgery on my knee, the doc told Steve that I have the knees of an eighty year old. Seriously!?! So I tend to always modify jumps, etc. I’m still learning what I can do and what I …shouldn’t do. (Though sometimes I still try to do more than I should.) As instructors we need to teach to the fittest of the group, but if that doesn’t describe you yet then you might need to modify the exercise. But remember if we don’t try 100% then we won’t get the results we are hoping for.
- If a joint starts to hurt, then stop and do a different exercise that doesn’t hurt. Don’t try to work through joint pain, since that might mean an injury.
- Enjoy the process of getting to know your body. You will be amazed at what you really can do through time. This is part of your life journey. You will get stronger and able to do more, but it will take time and consistency.
- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: MAKE WORKING OUT A HABIT! CHOOSE A TIME THAT WORKS FOR YOU AND BE CONSISTENT! If choosing to come to class is a daily decision, it’s so easy to make the wrong choice and not come to class. So much easier to decide that I go to class on Tuesdays and Thursdays and that’s what I do. Tuesday means class!
We are looking forward to seeing you in class! Check out the Summer Revolution special pricing for adults here.